Sunday, March 10, 2013

My Dad , my hero
 
                                                        My Hero My Dad
                                                        Steve McDonough



My Dad , my hero.

He used to tell me,  "Marie, it's only hard for the first 100 years".  :)  He had a great sense of humor.

He loved to mess with words...Light bulbs were "Light Blubs"

 He suffered from rheumatoid arthritis since the age of 50.  His fingers, feet and spine were severely disfigured.  BUT he showed me that RA would not stop him and he lived a full life to the age of 88 years old. He drove a car to the age of 87. He kept very busy with playing music, teaching music, church activities, family activities, inventing and helping people all the time.

 He was a brilliant business man, giver and inventor.  He invented parts and diagnostic tools for the transmission service business and sold them all over the United States (and this before the internet!). He ran a transmission shop in the San Fernando Valley called Steve's Transmission for 26 years. He cared so much for his customers and employees and when I was a teen I had complete strangers come and tell me how he helped them in some way or another.  He was a giver of time and money to people in need.

He played the trombone and brought music and life everywhere he went. He brought all his piano and music students to the convalescent homes and brought the gift of music to cheer up the lives of the elderly. 

He also sooooo loved his wife Joan!  He showed me what a good marriage is all about. They were always together. 

I love you Dad!! You are the "light blub" of my life :) :) :)

So if you all out there have rheumatoid getting you down, know that you can keep going despite the pain.  My Dad showed me you can!   I know and hope you all can too!